Friday 24 February 2012

thirty (+ one)


Image via Pinterest
Yup – its my birthday. It feels like only yesterday I was celebrating my 30th.

To celebrate my milestone birthday last year my gorgeous husband treated me to a degustation dinner (with about seven too many glasses of matching wines) at the stunning Magill Estate the night of my birthday, and then we celebrated with family and friends at a party in our backyard on the Saturday night.

We filled the huge tree, which sits in the centre of our backyard, with gorgeous white lanterns and fairy lights and I got my hands on as many long tables, bench seats and bits of wooden outdoor furniture as I could to create a beer garden-like atmosphere on the grassed areas of the yard. I made punch, jugs of pimms, little flags for all the straws - the whole shebang. It was lovely but definitely was hard work.

The only decent photo I managed to get of the garden set-up before most of the guests arrived.
With my amazing husband
With bub’s arrival just over three months away, this year’s planned celebrations are much more relaxed and low-key. My husband took me out for a surprise breakfast this morning, I had lunch in the city with a girlfriend and then dinner (alcohol free for me this time) with my parents and husband tonight. We’ve got a friend’s engagement on Saturday night and then we’re having our immediate family and my besties over for afternoon tea at our house on Sunday.

Image via Pinterest
I put in an early request with my husband for an icecream cake for afternoon tea. But rather than buying one, he’s convinced me that we can try and make one.  For a first attempt I’m not exactly sure how it is going to look. I’m going to aspire to making it look pretty next time, but for the first try I’m just hoping it all stays together - especially in the scorching 37 degree weather it looks like we’ll be having on Sunday. All I care about is that it tastes amazing. Considering that I’m planning on 'smooshing in' Caramello Koala chocolate bars throughout the icecream, I’m hoping we’ll be onto a winner. Stay tuned!

10 comments:

  1. What a magnificent tree! I never tire of looking at your 30th Birthday photos. Simply stunning! Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! We had four youngsters at the party last year and they loved climbing and sitting in the tree’s low branches. Our newly planted white agapanthas in the garden bed underneath the tree didn’t look so healthy at the end of the night but most of them bounced back! :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi, Thanks for visiting Peaches and Candy!
    Happy Birthday for last week, the outdoor setting you had last year looks amazing i just love lanterns hanging in trees.
    Have a grest week
    xNat
    Peaches and Candy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nat! I'm a huge fan of lanterns and originally looked into hiring them for last year’s party, but loved them so much I ended up spending a little extra and buying them so I can use them over and over.

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday for the 24th - it sounds like you had a lot of lovely birthday celebrations. Last year's party looked amazing!
    x
    Melissah from Scrapbook

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Melissah. I had a lovely day. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, happy belated birthday, Melissa! I'm so delighted you've hopped aboard and become a Planetarian - I've returned the favour to find this delightful space you've created. Well done! Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy - so many delights await you ☺. J x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday Michelle! I love icecream cake, but have never made one so I can't wait to hear how yours turned out!
    Lovely picture of you and your husband - the garden with all the lanterns looks fab too! Love the tree. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated birthday! It was my 30th + 1 last year as well and my partner took me to a degustation dinner, we also stayed the night so we didn't have to worry about those 7 wines and driving. Nice to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...